Sunday, March 7, 2010

Is there something that bugs you to no end as a woman?

A lot of us girls especially, in India are taught from day 1 to be protective of our bodies. We are made to feel guilty & dirty for entertaining thoughts of good-looking men. Sex is something we may never hear from our parents. Virginity always gets the highest bidder. Its almost like, this is the reason of our existence. It causes us problems, brings on us rules that are definitely ridiculous and make our whole existence worthless.

I wonder what is it about virgins that get men all excited? It would be foolish to want an inexperienced girl in bed, wouldn’t it?? Why do people condemn something that is so natural across living beings. Animals do it, birds do it. I have been reading some classified sections in the newspapers where people want “pure” girls. What I want to know is, how are they gonna verify this girl’s “pureness”? Anyway, how pure is their son?

It may sound odd and weird to me because I was not brought up in a conservative household. I had my freedom (rather still have), I wore make up, I go to parties etc. I am pretty sure my parents knew about my encounters with men in life. But the reason I have this freedom is because my mother had to tolerate crap like this when she was younger. Apparently, when my father went to “see” my mother, my grandmother (father’s mom) yanked on her braided hair hard, to check if it was real. I am pretty sure, her being a virgin was of great importance to them.

Can we change this opinion people have on women? Optimistically thinking, I believe we can. Realistically, NO. There are too many people to convince and a whole lot of them are narrow-minded. We also live in a country that is superstitious. So, god forbid, they think otherwise and another tsunami hit them. We are perennially worried about what society thinks of us, what our great-grand mothers would think of us, what our maid thinks of us etc.

So, we do the next best thing. We rebel. We do everything we are told not to do. We do what our hearts desire. And along the way, if we find a man, who sees through this deception we put ourselves through, we get lucky. Else, we fall in love and change back to what we never wanted to be.

I am ranting in this post. I wanted to write something about women empowerment, but all that came up in this post was anger at the way women were treated across our country, in our backyards.

No comments:

Post a Comment